Welcome!

Welcome! On this blog you'll find recipes and reviews regarding eating gluten free. Look around, enjoy!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Review of ZPizza

I recently went to ZPizza, which is a pizza shop located in Rockville, Maryland. It's a bit of a trip for me, but I was in the area and had a craving for pizza from a restaurant. I heard that they had gluten free pizzas, so I decided to give it a try.

It was late, about 7:30 pm, so they weren't very busy. When I walked in, it brought me back to the days when I was a kid and my family used to go to Papa Ginos. It smelled amazing. They had information up about organic foods and about gluten intolerances/Celiacs disease and they also had a product list of gluten free offerings and vegetarian options. They also offer Daiya cheese for those who are vegan or who can't eat dairy.

I was told that I could use the crust and order any pizza on the menu but I went for the original and I ordered a gluten free cheese pizza, it cost about 10 dollars. They only offer a small sized pizza for gluten free eaters. The crusts were frozen, but that probably makes sense considering contamination issues with making gluten pizza and gluten free pizzas in the same restaurant. They did have a gluten free area where they prepared my pizza.

I was going to get a picture of it, but I didn't have my camera on me and I couldn't wait until I got home to eat it. The crust was thin and crisp, reminiscent of the Boston-style pizza that I grew up eating (my favorite). The sauce had a mild sweetness to it, and the cheese was well, cheesy. It had the perfect ratio of cheese to crust, I would of preferred a little more sauce but that is my own personal preference. I detected a slight bitter taste to the crust, but it was barely noticeable with the sauce and cheese. Overall it was delicious I would rate it a 9/10 as far as gluten free pizza goes and probably an 8/10 comparing it to the gluten-filled pizza I used to eat. I was enough food for my sister and I to split a pizza.

My only area of concern is that I'm not sure if they used a designated pizza cutter to cut my pizza. I decided not to stress over it, but more sensitive gluten free eaters may find it worthwhile to ask them about.

2 comments:

  1. Remind me to tell you about the gluten free pizza we tried.

    Glad you were impressed with this pizza. Did they tell you the company they get the crusts from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No they didn't. Supposedly it was created by Zpizza in response to the increasing number of people who can't eat gluten.

    Have you had any luck with Udi's products in Connecticut? They are expanding their products in January to include whole grain and cinnamon raisin bagels/bread. They are also offering their products in more stores, I saw Udi's bread and bagels in the naturals freezer section at Giant the other day (which is the same as Stop and Shop). I know you and dad don't eat a lot of bread, but Udi's is awesome for the occasional sandwich or piece of toast.

    ReplyDelete