Welcome!

Welcome! On this blog you'll find recipes and reviews regarding eating gluten free. Look around, enjoy!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pancakes!

There's a song my 4 year old students used to sing last year that went along with a play Finn McCool that another teacher put on for Book Fair night and now I'm doomed to get it stuck in my head and sing it whenever I think of pancakes (much to the annoyance of normal adults around me lol)

I finally perfected my mom's recipe to be gluten free. I had tried to make it before with little success. They either fell flat or ended up a pile of goo (sadness).

Here it is:

Ingredients

2 Cups of Gluten Free Pantry Flour*
2 Tbls Sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk or sour milk**
2 tbls cooking oil

* I found Gluten Free Pantry Flour to make a big difference in anything I make. Definately helped these pancakes (see link to Amazon below).
Optional with these pancakes to make them a little lighter is to do 2 cups Gluten Free Pantry Flour less 1 spoonful of flour. Add one spoonful of cornstarch to complete the cup and add 1 pinch of xanthum gum. This is how I usually make them.

** to make sour milk mix milk with 1 tbls vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes

Directions

1. Mix dry ingredients and set aside

2. Mix oil and eggs, beat together. Add milk.

3. Mix all ingredients together until creamy. Let pancake mixture sit for approximately 5 minutes. This allows time for the flours to blend. You know its ready when the mixture has thickened.

Meanwhile, heat griddle or nonstick pan. You may have to lightly oil or grease the pan. The pan is ready when you flick some water on it and it spatters.

I usually do a test pancake or two to make sure that the pan doesn't need any greasing and that the batter is ready. If your test pancake doesn't turn out, you can let the batter sit for a minute or try adding some xanthum gum.

Spoon batter onto griddle, once bubbles appear and edges start to firm they are ready to flip. Cook until a light golden brown.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment